life is always about the journey...

Monday, July 29, 2013

Room Makeovers!



First Floor Overhaul

After 7 years in this house I'm feeling the need for some change.  I've been so busy the past few years with my work and travel and just life in general that I got lackadaisical with what I did when we first moved in.  But now I'm ready for CHANGE (cue hubby groaning lol)!

First rooms to be hit are the Dining Room and Laundry Room!
Then next are the Study and Powder Room and maybe Living Room.

DINING ROOM

Red is my favorite color and I've almost always had a red dining room, it appeals to me and its elegant.  But now I feel at this phase of my life I need to lighten things up a bit, I already got rid of the dark rug in this room.  This is one of the first rooms you see when you come in my house and it gets great light so it was ok to be darker but now I need even more light.  My table and buffet were an anniversary present from Ethan Allen over 14 years ago from my hubby and its in great shape as we seriously don't eat in this room much.  Its a shame I know but it at least needs to be a pretty room.

Coastal elegance and lighter neutrals are appealing to me right now.

So I'm thinking about this kind of look for my dining room:



So I've already picked the paint color from Benjamin Moore and bought a few new accessories and will be hitting up Habitat Restore for some shutters that I want to add to the room.  A longer buffet may be coming in that is a painted piece and current buffet will be getting some shelves over it and moved to the shorter wall.  Lots of ideas slowly coming together.  Can't wait to share the final view with you all soon!

 scored from Kirklands for $20 each

Pottery Barn Jug

Lamp from Stein Mart for $20 along with some Annie Sloan chalk paint

*************************

LAUNDRY MUD ROOM


ACK!!! RIGHT? Please don't judge me by this mess heehee it is NOT representative of most rooms in my house.  This room has never really been "done" like the other rooms.  Its totally utilitarian and not pretty in the least and its a dumping ground for EVERYTHING.  It sits directly behind my kitchen and in front of garage entrance.  I spend a lot of time in here and I'm SICK OF IT LOL!  Time for it to be pretty now :)

Step 1 was to clear it out and clean it up and organize it!
I have a ton of cabinets in here that weren't being used to the best of their ability so I focused on that first.  Then a good scrub down was in order so that it now looks like this:

That long wall on the left will be getting a batten-board treatment and hooks about 3/4s of the way up.  I have bought all the boards and my nail gun so as soon as I paint the upper halves of the wall and the other walls I can get that started.  I have no issue handling tools much to hubby's chagrin and I'm a total DIY girl, I like getting my hands dirty :) 

 Behind the sink the walls will be getting a fun treatment as well
and hubby is installing a deeper sink for me...I groom the doggies in this sink
and its just not deep enough for baths right now.  I'm also getting a new faucet with a higher bend and spray nozzle.  Those lower cabinets are getting painted with Annie Sloan chalk paint as well to lighten it up more.

I can't really have a countertop on top of my washer/dryers but I have 
bought a few cute baskets that will be used.
******
Inspiration Pics:

My batten board will resemble this...3/4s of the way up with a slim ledge and hooks

Similar color on the walls...I wanted the color of a pale sky.

Completely pretty & organized.


So that's what I will be working on over the next couple of weeks!  Still searching for a few things and trying not to rush it...I want to enjoy the process and find the perfect accessories that agree with the image in my head :)  

So stay tuned!






Share:

10 comments

  1. WOW Suzanne. Those changes are going to be amazing. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That will be pretty when you are done. I love light and airy. It sets my mood. I cringed when I saw your laundry room, ha ha. LS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cringed too LOL..it didn't always look like that, that is a culmination of weeks of decluttering the garage and using laundry as a holding spot ugh. But all clean now YAY! hugz~

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to see your finished rooms! I love the colours for your dining room.
    Are you not doing your other blog any more? Am so missing your lovely cards and your fab sense of humour. Please come back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still doing my other blog but took off most of July & August to enjoy the summer & my family and work on other things. This fall my daughter will start her senior year so I am soaking up this summer w/o deadlines and work hanging over my head. I will have a new post up this Friday though :) Thanks so much!

      Delete
  4. Can't wait to see the finished results. Your dining room colours are fab.
    Am missing your lovely cards on your other blog. Please come back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why can't you put a counter over your washer and dryer and use it as a folding table/area. They are both front load so I think it would work. Just a suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want a countertop on top because it would be off balance with the other counter tops. Plus I fold all my laundry in the family room so its not really needed...I just put some pretty baskets up there for things that needed a spot :) If my washer/dryer were more level with the counters I would do that as I like the streamlined look but no such luck there LOL...next house I guess ;)

      Delete
    2. Like you, my dining room was a dark maroon-like color for many years. Last month I took the plunge and lightened the walls. I am so pleased with the results and I know you will be too.

      Delete
    3. Like you, my dining room was a dark maroon-like color for many years. Last month I took the plunge and lightened the walls. I am so pleased with the results and I know you will be too.

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting me, I hope I made you smile or inspired you in some way! I appreciate you stopping by!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig