life is always about the journey...

Thursday, May 29, 2014

What's On The Side??



SERVED ON THE SIDE


I am ALWAYS looking for new, yummy side dishes all year long.  I have my tried & trues, the holiday sides, the summer sides, etc but I like to discover new ideas along the way too.  And if they are easy to assemble or can be prepared ahead...EVEN BETTER right?

Southern Living & Pinterest seem to be the two places I most often find yummy recipes that my family will love.  The past issue of Southern Living (1 of my fave magazines) had some very yummy looking side dishes that I wanted to try out.  So I did this past weekend & thought I'd share them with you too...in case you missed this last issue.  
HOWEVER I did add or change a few things to each to my liking...soooo if you want the original recipes you will have to buy the issue or look on their website. 
 I promise my versions were REALLY GOOD!!  
Both of them work perfectly during the summer months and with fresh produce!



 Zucchini-Potato Casserole
(yes I altered the recipe a bit, because that's just what I do)

4 TBS Butter
2 medium onions sliced
2 medium potatoes sliced THINLY
1 zucchini sliced THINLY
4 tomatoes sliced
kosher salt
black pepper
1 clove of crushed/diced garlic
1/2 cup shredded/fine Parmesan Cheese
1/2 cup of shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Instructions:
**I used a mandolin to cut my potatoes & zucchini slices thinly & quickly

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Cook onions with 2 TBS butter until tender & starting to caramelize.
Grease a round/oval dish and layer cooked onions on bottom.
Slice zucchini, potatoes & tomatoes thinly and start arranging them around your pan on top of the onions, alternating as you go.
Sprinkle everything with kosher salt & ground black pepper, then drizzle 2 TBS of melted butter on top. COVER WITH FOIL!
BAKE AT 375 degs for 35 mins
****
REMOVE FOIL and sprinkle with cheeses.
Bake again for 35 mins UNCOVERED this time at 375 degs.
Let stand for 5-10 mins before serving!

YUMMMMM!
Looks so yummy right? It was really good!

**********

Caprese Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing
(again I added/changed a few things to the original recipe)

2-3 large tomatoes 
(I used a yellow heirloom as well)
16 oz fresh mozzarella cut into 1/2 inch slices
fresh basil leaves
6 bacon slices, cooked & coarsely chopped
3 TBS balsamic vinegar
2 TBS rice vinegar
2 TBS Olive Oil
kosher salt
ground black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS:

Slice tomatoes and cheese; then arrange in a circular pattern on your platter/dish.
Place basil leaves in and around as desired.
Sprinkle with salt & pepper to your liking.
Cook bacon until crispy, remove bacon from pan and let stand for a minute.
Reserve drippings in pan and add vinegars and oils, scraping brown bits from bottom of pan while mixing. Add in salt and pepper.
Drizzle warm bacon dressing over tomatoes and cheese.
Serve, Eat & Enjoy!



Aren't the colors just gorgeous?  I used some local fresh mozzarella and LORDY-BE was it good...so flavorful!!  Basil is from my herb garden so it was super fresh :)


Look at those yummy layers and bits of crispy bacon (I used thick sliced maple bacon for mine)!
Perfect side dish for summer I tell ya!

BON APPETIT!



Share:

3 comments

  1. I've made the zucchini one for year (I've just never added potato, but it sure looks good) will have to try your version next time. But that caprese salad just made it on tonights menu ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Suzanne. Trying to catch up on posts. This Caprese Salad looks sooooo good, I'm gonna serve it this weekend while my daughter is out at the ranch. I love, love, love fresh homemade mozzarella. P-Dub has one of my fav recipes for making fresh mozzarella cheese. And of course bacon is a must.
    Let you know how it came out. :)
    Hugz,
    Cath

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting me, I hope I made you smile or inspired you in some way! I appreciate you stopping by!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig