life is always about the journey...

Sunday, November 24, 2013

DIY Frosted Holiday Glass Hurricanes!

Happy Monday everyone!  Hope you had a great and WARM weekend...oooooeeee its cold here in Virginia and windy. I'm of course HATING every minute of it...I so could do the holidays with 70 degree weather, no problem!  But I got a lot done this weekend including finishing up my dining room painting and door painting so I'm pleased about that.  Now to move on to the next project which is stenciling the one large wall in the dining room...sheesh...we're never really done right?


But today I'm sharing part two of my Holiday Mantel that I shared HERE the other day.  I'm sharing with you how I made these beautiful frosted holiday hurricanes.  Not only is it an easy DIY but it didn't cost very much either...a total win win!



Here's the supplies I used:

-2 glass candlesticks from the Dollar Store
-2 glass vases from the Dollar Store
-tube of E6000 adhesive (already had this)
-1 can of Valspar Frosting Spray
-Stencil or Vinyl design
-embellishments to decorate if you wish (from my studio)
TOTAL COST FOR ME:  $10 for both




I used my Silhouette Cameo (my workhorse) to cut a holiday holly-vine out of vinyl--it was called "holly border".
You could use a stencil or something else of your choosing as well.  This was a very delicate cut-out and it was very hard to handle...I won't lie about that fact ohhh noooo.  I had to cut it in pieces to get it to untangle and go on the glass the way I wanted it to (there may have been some cussing on my part, but I'm not tellin'...hahaha).  Any type of small, delicate scrolled design like this cut from vinyl can be harder to handle...so if you can cut it into smaller pieces it does help with handling issues. Or if you have transfer paper I'm told works well too...but I had none of course LOL.  Once I got it on my glass where I wanted I then sprayed the glass (on the outside) 4 times to get the level of "frosting" that I wanted.  In the picture above you can see the design before & after I sprayed the frosting on.  This spray is very easy to use, it never clogged and went on nicely for each coat.  No real waiting time in between coats either.  I just kept turning it around and spraying until I felt it had enough.
I let them dry for about 30 minutes before I pulled off the vinyl though.



I didn't get any pictures of this but THE NEXT STEP is to adhere the glass candlesticks to each of your glass vases.  I use E6000 adhesive because I know its super strong and I've never had issues with it.  However use what you feel comfortable with.  I used the adhesive outside, with gloves and a mask on...because I'm very cautious as always...and added the adhesive to the top ring of my candlesticks. Then adding the vase on top sliding it around until it was centered.  I let them sit in my garage for about 35 mins to cure the glue a bit before I started decorating them.



Then it was time to decorate the hurricanes.  This is an optional step of course but I always think 
a little MORE adds a lil' something extra to your projects...that's coming from a papercrafter ya know ;)
I used burlap ribbon to add a wide swath of material to the center.  Then added some very silky ribbon around that and for a bow.  Then various burlap and paper flowers were added with my favorite Scor-Tape.  So these can be easily slipped off and replaced with a different color scheme down the road if I choose.



And here is what it looks like all finished.  I love how they turned out!
I didn't frost the candlesticks because I liked the two-tones together but that's an option too.



I can't wait to have them lit during December to see the emitting a soft glow on the fireplace.



Here is what the whole mantel looks like in case you missed that post below.
I will have a tutorial on how to make your own holiday banner on the cheap next in
part three of this series :)

Hope you enjoyed & if you make any please let me know so I can see too!!
**********************

I'm entering these into the following Linky Parties:



Share:

12 comments

  1. So very pretty...Happy Holidays. Liz S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh pretty! May have to make some myself. You need transfer paper if you are going to use vinyl girl! Makes it a snap to fool with no matter how intricate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know but I didn't have any more and totally forgot to order any...but Amazon to the rescue right? LOL

      Delete
  3. OMGeesh, Hun. You think of everything!!! I love these. Your mantle is beautiful. I love the idea of the burlap and I just bought some myself last weekend. No shortage of ideas from you, Suzanne. I'm gonna make some of these this week while I'm taking some vacation during the Thanksgiving holiday. Absolutely fabulous!
    Hugz,
    Cath

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cathy Lee! I changed up a lot of my decor this year using other things I had in my Xmas supply closet LOL and I had a ton of burlap just waiting to be used again! Happy Holidays to you!!

      Delete
  4. That is beautiful! Love how transformed those vases and candlestick holders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are really beautiful Suzanne
    hugs Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where can I find Vinyl stickers small like that? What should I google?
    Thank you for the tutorial, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shawna! You can buy lots of vinyl decals/stickers made in many shapes on Etsy for these kind of projects :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting me, I hope I made you smile or inspired you in some way! I appreciate you stopping by!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig