life is always about the journey...

Friday, November 15, 2013

DIY Vintage Photo Ornaments!





I'm gonna tell y'all something ok?  Its BIG...BIG...BIG!
CHRISTMAS IS COMING IN 5.5 WEEKS!
 Not too much longer eek!


And the first Christmas tree in the Dean house is already up..but I'm adding to it this year so I can't share yet.  And we hunt for our 12-13 foot real tree for the family room the first week of December. Then I will get the other 6-8 trees up as well.  And I'm always looking to add ornaments to my trees each year. And nothing better than homemade ornaments with meaning!  

So these photo ornaments fit the bill!  I saw similar ones on Pinterest over a year ago but never had time to make any (story of MY life).  I did mine a bit differently, went vintage and embellished them my way.  And I made a tongue-in-cheek fun one for my mom heehee!  They are great for gifts, place-setting favors during the holiday season or just for your own trees.


Use a photo editing program (free ones like Pic Monkey will work too) to make a 4x6 size blank page.  Then pick out the headshots/photos you want to use - you could also have these photos made online or at Target or another photo printing place if you don't have access to a laptop or computer.  I made duplicate photo files in Photoshop and then turned each of my photos into black & white versions.  Size them so you have 5-6 pics evenly spaced across...then duplicate and make 3 more rows of pictures like I have above.  Then you need to cut them into long strips.  I used pics of my family and did two each of the teens.  I want to do an animal version as well since I have 8 animals...they're worthy of their own :)



I wanted mine to be more vintage feeling so I inked them with Tim Holtz Distress Ink (antique linen) and my Inkssentials Blending tool.  You could print them in sepia tones if you wanted too...I did it this way because I wanted more ink on some of the strips then others for a more random, aged feel.



You will also need to cut more strips of paper from decorative scrapbooking/crafting paper the same length as your photo strips (however I varied the width of my strips for a different look).
Cut as many as you like...I cut more than I originally thought I would.  I cut strips of scrapbook paper  and then stamped sentiments on some in black ink...one says "Merry Christmas", one says "Peace" and the other says "Baby Its Cold Outside".  They all got inked as well for that vintage look.
I cut 9 strips from various papers along with my 4 photo strips...total of 13 strips to use on the ornaments.



Then I started laying them in a star pattern, pattern side UP, to space them as I liked.  Make sure the matching strip (twin) for each is across from itself like I did above.



As I added a few strips of paper where I wanted them, I pierced them with my paper piecer .



That way I could easily add the other strips on and have them evenly spaced and pierced for the brad I'm using to keep them together when I finish.


If you need a larger hole or don't have a paper piercer you can use a paper punch too.  I used a Crop-a-dile to make my pierced hole just a wee bit bigger.  Then I used a fun nail-look brad to insert and keep all those strips together.  This is the BOTTOM of the ornament.



Then you need to bring each strip and its twin up to create a ball shape and tape or staple them as you go.  I used low-stick tape for this because I found that I needed to adjust some strips as I went along.  The tape came off cleanly and allowed me to do that easily.  Once I was done I pierced the top again and put another brad in the top but you could staple or add some stronger tape if you chose.  
THIS IS THE TOP OF THE ORNAMENT!

Then you get to decorate and embellish the top of your ornaments.


I used ribbon (in black satin and gingham), a die cut from black cardstock and some burlap and paper-print flowers to layer.  I use Scor-Tape to tape my embellishments together and add to the top of each ornament...super strong stuff and no cutting, you just rip it!




This ornament above is a bit different from the other one I made with pics of my family.  This one is for my mother...she's a wee bit crazy for Kip Moore the country singer.  Kinda like how I am for Luke Bryan & Tim McGraw..obviously it runs in the family heehee.  So I used pictures I had snapped when we saw Kip in September and created photo strips of him and a sentiment that says "I {heart} Kip Moore" LOL!  A little tongue in cheek humor for the holiday is ALWAYS appropriate I think!  I used some music note scrapbook paper on this one too seeing that its a bit more musical.  The "Baby Its Cold Outside" I stamped onto paper to make strips too...I like the mix of different prints and words along with your photos on these.



So there you go...some unique, personalized ornaments for your tree.  Inexpensive to make, not much time involved and looks lovely on your Christmas tree this season.

You of course could make these in ANY COLOR or STYLE...that's up to you!
And if you don't want to use photos you don't have to.



Share:

25 comments

  1. These are SO fun. I love the color combo and that they are so personal. The decor at the top is icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Miss Suzanne, these are gorgeous and full of vintage charm!! Your tutorial is awesome and I know this with certainty because I didn't get confused even once and that never happens!! I'm just so thrilled and excited to try these and what a wonderful and unique gift idea as well! Thank you so much! You have just set me on a very merry path to gettin on the holiday ball! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Linsey! Have fun making them & personalizing each one! Hugs!

      Delete
  3. Wooow! Love your creation Suzanne! thank you for sharing tutorial with us.
    Jasmina

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous!!
    Love them Suzanne ♥ Fantastic idea for a personal gift
    Have awonderful weekend
    Hugs, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks, Suzanne! What a wonderful idea! I know i will try this out! Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool is this! Thanks so much for taking us step by step - very doable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great project. I appreciate your tutorial - allows it to be doable. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are awesome ornies Suzanne, and the tutorial is really easy to follow. I will definitely have to try these. Are you still heading 'Down Under' during the holidays?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bunches Jen! No (sob) I won't be coming down to Oz...right now I'm not allowed to fly more than 5-6 hours due to my MS so maybe next Christmas? I sure wish cuz I'd love some of your warm weather right about now ;) Hugs~

      Delete
  9. Wow! I love these handcrafted ornaments!! What an awesome way to make a very personal, one of a kind ornament in a very economical way. I've got to try this! I would love to give something like this to family and friends. Thanks for the inspiration, Suzanne!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute, cute, cute! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for linking them to the Making Monday party!! This year is my first year to really do decorating and I'm overwhelmed by how costly some can be so DIY it is :) I"m pinning these to our Monday pin board :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it can get very expensive & so many cool ideas to try out and make yourself for not a huge investment. Thanks for stopping in and pinning, I appreciate it :)

      Delete
  12. This is such an awesome idea!!! I found these via Gracie's ^ party:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is very cool. Pinning to Christmas. Thanks for coming over to All Things Christmas. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely fantastic...I'll be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea..so beautiful and sentimental!..a real treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow, these are awesome Suzanne! Something different. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Suzanne! Love this idea! I'm so glad you decided to share it on our All Things Christmas Linky party!!!!! Can't wait to see what you have for next week!! - No Pressure! hahaha! Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Suzanne! Thanks so much for joining our All Things Christmas link party! I love these! Can't wait to see what you have for next week......no pressure! Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are gorgeous, Suzanne!!! Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting me, I hope I made you smile or inspired you in some way! I appreciate you stopping by!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig