life is always about the journey...

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Meet My Snow People!



I've seen these lil' sock snow people for years at craft shows and online but never had time to make any.
But this year I vowed to get some made for the upcoming holidays...and I'm a sucker for snowmen too!
I just don't like the ACTUAL cold snow stuff ;)

So there are lots of instructions online but thought I'd do a brief synopsis with tips on how I made mine for you all!  
Best of all these cost me ZERO dollars to make...other than the bag of rice which was $4...I used old socks and supplies from my craft room!
*AND*
They are NO SEW folks...good news for me because I hate to sew LOL!

Ingredients for Snow People:
Crew Socks
Old/New Patterned Socks or old sweaters/shirts
Rubberbands
Scissors
Bag of Rice
Straight Pins
Buttons
Embellishments of your choice
**disclaimer: obvs these are NOT made to be toys for wee ones**


Crew Socks work best for the body of the snow people...I had a pack of crew socks that Riley deemed "too tight" (whatever that means) and it was just lingering in the closet because I'd never taken them back.  So I snatched it right up for this project.  If you are buying socks make SURE THE TOES ARE NOT COLORED...some socks have gray or yellow toes and that's not what you want if you end up using the toe for a hat!
Step #1:  Cut the leg part off of the sock so the foot/toe is separate



Step 2:  Turn the sock you cut off inside out and grab a rubber band and 
twist it on the top part of the sock...as far up as you can manage.  Then turn the sock out again so the rubber band is now inside the sock...got that?



TIP:  I'm messy pouring rice and I didn't have any helpers so I poured my rice into
a slim glass, stuck the sock over it and flipped it over...NO MESS.  You could also use a large funnel too.  Because if you spill all that rice, well folks you got a big mess to clean up :)



Step 4:  Fill that sock up with rice, smooshing it down each time till you get it filled out nicely.  Remember you want the bottom to be nice, round & plump ;)


Step 5:  So you end up with this...a gourd shape...squish the rice around to make the shape.  Then use another rubberband to secure the top, again as close to the end as you can.
(Tip: I trimmed off the top after I rubberbanded it so it wasn't so much sticking up)



Step 6:  Then take your 3rd rubberband and twist it around the center, creating the head and bottom of snowman.  Don't worry about the rubberbands because you are gonna cover them up real soon!
TIP:  Roll your sock when you're done with a lint-roller to clean off any fuzzies or strings.


And then you decorate them to your heart's desire---this is the FUN part!
It only took me 1 hour to make all 3 of these Snow People.



I used stick-on pearls for their eyes and noses...some I left off the noses just to be different.
But you could use straight pins with beads on the end just as easily.  



The scarf here was made with parts of an old sock as well...I just cut a long piece off of a kneesock and tied it around his neck and trimmed the edges for a frayed look...super easy.  I added a straight pin in the center of the scarf so it doesn't come off or untied but you could use glue too.  The buttons were put on with fabric glue but you could sew them if you wanted...glue is easier though, just sayin' :)



Their caps were all made with other socks...I just cut off the toes of some old socks, rolled the edges and plopped them on their heads.  I used white pom-poms to finish off the top of each hat..adhered with fabric glue.  This one I added a holly cutout with a punch & some pearl berries from my crafty stash.



This one got a different scarf treatment and the cap is from a fuzzy old sock I had.  But the scarf and hat trim were made from some leftover fabric I had and then I frayed the edges.  Don't spend $$ on materials, look around your house for things that you can use...I have old flannel shirts, jeans, socks, etc that I store in a small bin and use for craft projects and its FREE!




This lovely pink lady is my fave, I love the soft colors...her scarf and cap are made from an old sock as well.  Then I punched a few snowflakes out of white cardstock, grabbed some paper flowers from my stash and glued them all on to embellish. I love the addition of the sparkly button and pom-pom on her cap too!



So now you know how to do it, its a quick and easy project...perfect to do with elementary school aged children too!  Before you know it you can have a whole snow family made.  Let your imagination run WILD with the possibilities!  I'm gonna buy some cream socks to make more vintage snow people with some burlap and tea-dyed fabrics...will share those when I'm done!

Happy Crafting!
**********




Share:

84 comments

  1. They are all adorable!! What a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhh my, aren't they just the cutest - thank you soooo much for sharing your tutorial on how to make these - ha, guess what I'm doing this weekend, lol - perfect timing before I start ratching about in our attic for Crimbo decs - these will make a perfect addition - al post a photie when I'm done heehee, big hugs Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun with them Jo...perfect for anything old you may having laying around! I'd love to see when you're done! Hugs~

      Delete
    2. Heehee, I had soooo much fun making these - I've created a post on my bloggie thingy with a couple of piccies of my effort and linked back to your blog - hope this is ok - I didn't know how else to send you a picture as I'm not exactly computer literate lol - the blog post address thing is - http://jojosbitsnbobs.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/super-cute-snow-people.html - hope you get chance to have a peekie, luv Jo xx

      Delete
  3. So adorable... actually can use old sweaters too... my thrift store sells them so cheap if you don't have socks or extra material at home...there is a lady on Create TV (michele beschen) who makes amazing things with ONE old sweater and when I saw your beautiful snowmen, I thought the sweaters would be fabulous to use for this project! Here is her link: http://www.borganic.net/projects_search.php -Could also stuff some holiday scent Potpourri in the sock!! Great project Suzanne!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I used old jeans & a flannel shirt on one I made for Riley...haven't taken pics of those yet (shhh I made 4 more) LOL! But anything fuzzy, soft and old makes a great snowman and its FREE! Thanks for sharing the link! Hugs~

      Delete
  4. oh my word!!!! They are ADORABLE!!!!! I know what I'm doing tonight!!!! LOL!! Oh my gosh, the little pink lady is just the sweetest ever!!!!!! You did good!!!!!!! heehee!! You do need one more for your little family to be represented... another girl!!!
    Hugs,
    Teri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Teri! Oh I made 4 more vintage ones LOL...so by the time the holidays come I may have 100...so much fun to make!

      Delete
  5. The snowpeople are ADORABLE....and how funny about not liking sewing since many are using the sewing machine in the paper designs and once you mentioned hating sewing I realized that you don't even sew your paper......so you do hate sewing don't you LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how to sew and I have a sewing machine AND my mom is a master seamstress. I however have never liked it much LOL so nope I don't sew on my cards either :)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This also looks like a good project to make with children too (of course I would do all the cutting)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no you are right...its a great project to do with kids. Obvs if they are much younger than the cutting would be left to an adult but its a fun project for them to participate on.

      Delete
  8. So cute! Going to have to make some! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my girls would love making these! Bookmarking this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute im going to try these thank you so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to try these with my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those guys and gals are just too darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Suzanne I love these!! Can't wait to see your vintage ones as they'd suite my home perfectly! Also can't wait to make these with my little ones - they love making things! Thanks for sharing, hugs, Jane xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect project to do with kids...especially if you are going "no-sew" and use fabric glue. Have fun!!

      Delete
  15. Absolutely adorable, Suzanne! Thanks for sharing the tut! Def must do!
    Huggies ~
    Sharron

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohh soo cute! Pinned it! On my to-do list ..one of these days!!! Thanks for the great tutorial!!
    Sherry107

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you & hope you find time to make 1 or 2! Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  17. These are so adorable, Suzanne. So simple and easy and I have all these items in my household and craft room. What a fun project.
    Hugz,
    Cathy Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy...glad you like them & they are SO much fun to do. I have done 8 so far LOL..my snow family is growing ;)

      Delete
  18. Oh Suzanne, they are sooo adorable! I love them, especially the pink one :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, they are so cute! I love them all but especially the pink one :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMWord! I just saw these on my FB page from Korin (Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps). They are now on my list of #I'mmakingthesetheyaresostinkincute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Susie! Glad you like them & hope you get to make some!

      Delete
  21. snowmen are my fave winter 'character'..... and these are super cute and EASY to make ! I may just have to make one... thanks for the tutorial !

    Monica C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are super easy to make and once you make one, you wanna make more LOL!

      Delete
  22. snowmen are my fave winter 'character'....I just might have to make one of these...they are adorable and EASY to make ... thanks for the tutorial !

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can't wait to try these. I love all of them and l am looking forward to seeing the vintage ones. I love how you tilted the eyes on the pink one and left off her nose. They have already developed little personalities of their own. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Linda, they are addictive & fun to make!

      Delete
  24. These are so gorgeous Suzanne! I just had to have a look at how you made them! You are so clever! Thank you for the tutorial, I cant wait to try them! Hugs Julie xox

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are the cutest little sock snowmen I've ever seen. Thanks for the tutorial. Now I need to get busy and make my own. Would you be willing to share this post and any of your other great ones at our Making Monday link party? We would love it and think our readers will, too. Thanks. Have a great week. http://www.abrightandbeautifullife.com/making-monday-13-2/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by & hope you get to make some!

      Delete
  26. I have seen snowmen made out of socks before, but yours are sooooooooooooooooo adorable!!! Thank you so much for teaching us how to make them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vanias...I had so much fun making them, it gets a bit addicting and now I have too many...gifts I say ;)

      Delete
  27. These are just too cute! Pinning, and thanks so much for sharing at my link party!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, goodness! They are sooo cute! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features today at the Anything Blue Friday party at The Dedicated House. Pop on in and grab a feature button for your blog. Here is the link for this week's party. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2013/11/anything-blue-friday-week-33.html Hope to see you again at the little blue soiree. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for featuring me, I sure appreciate it!

      Delete
  29. Super cute! Thank you so much for linking up to our party… I am featuring you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Aaah, so super cute! I saw these on the link party! Love them, I'm totally having the kids make some of these with me for christmas gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sarah..great project to do with kids!

      Delete
  31. Absolutely sweet....Like them sooooo much:) I'm your new follower:)Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much & happy you stopped by! Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  32. awwww how fun are these snowmen. I have to try some! :) Thank you for sharing with us.
    Jasmina

    ReplyDelete
  33. They're all just too cute! Thank you very much for the great tutorial.

    Hugs,
    Marina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome & thanks for stopping by!! Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  34. EEEEE!! I'm gonna do it!! What great teacher/neighbor/co-worker.....ex DT member gifts!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Post pics when you do Sheri! Glad you liked them & wishing you a very Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  35. I love these. Thank you for showing how easily they're made; I would have just been intimidated by just seeing the finished product. Now to go raid the sock drawers! Oh, and all those mismatched socks in the basket too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to make some & they aren't hard at all....have fun with them!

      Delete
  36. Thank you so much for the easy instructions. I can't wait to raid the sock drawers and grab all those mismatched socks! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the way to do it LOL...thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  37. I have loved SNOWMEN since I first could lift a snow ball up to apply a head....lol...I can't resist them in the stores, because the cold weather, and I don't see Eye to Eye anymore ....I live in Ontario, so I have my fill of winter by the end of our first snowfall...lol...I love yours too....I love your cards as well, and the glimpse of your fun family time is wonderful to see. Thank you Suzanne for your continual inspiration....it's SNOW NICE! www.stampinribbons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am not a lover of snow but I do love snowmen LOL. Thanks for hopping by Carol!

      Delete
  38. Just wanted to tell you how much I LOVED your snow people and how much fun I had making my own...they turned out so cute! (you can check mine out on my blog today at: http://marciasstampinpad.blogspot.com/ ) I have been following your blog for years now, and have to tell you that your newest one is just the best! I LOVE all your economical decorating ideas and step by step tutorials for so many of your projects! And btw, your dining room turned out absolutely beautiful! :0) Thanks again for all that you share...you are such an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Marcia, you are too sweet :) I appreciate you stopping by & I hope to have lots more projects up next week for everyone! I will hop over to see your snowmen too! Hugs!

      Delete
  39. WOW these are so adorable and they look stunning.Pinned them
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia
    Cards Crafts School Projects

    ReplyDelete
  40. These are cute! They look like a perfect sewing activity for beginner sewers. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UPDATE! Snowpeople appearing faster than zombies!! http://www.preschoolsci.com/images/snowpeople.png

      Delete
  41. im add or something! can u share or take a pic of how 2 do the hats> like what part of the sock? where is the heel and so on? would you email me just the hat instructions? suthrngrlz7@yahoo.com thanks in advance! these are the cutest things! with 11 children i need as many free crafts as possible! - i nknow they arent toys! i just meant i cant afford to make things for people when im feeding so many people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna & thanks for stopping by! Yes they are perfect for kids because no-sewing is involved & decorating them is so much fun...I used fabric glue for my accessories. The end of the toe of any sock becomes the hat...clip the toe off & roll the edges up and that's it. I added some pom-poms to the ends of mine for fun.

      Delete
  42. Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much for your sweet comment! Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  43. Hi love these guys! But I just wabt to know if you would use a whole 1 pound bag of rice for each guy??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fabi! It depends on what size your sock is and how plump you want them to be. I bought a 5 lb bag of rice and I only used probably 2.5 to 3 lbs for 4 snowmen.

      Delete
  44. Just made them with my class and have numerous friends asking where i found the info for it. Amazing idea, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome & happy you had fun with them! If they are going to be bounced around a lot by kids you may consider sewing the bottom or using a Fabric-Tac like glue just for extra "rice" security LOL! Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  45. Gotta go through my "Sock" drawer....so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  46. It is 2014. A year later I just saw this and I Love Love Love it. Your directions are super simple and great for using what I already have. Did I mention I Love these little guys.. ha ha
    thanks Karen

    ReplyDelete
  47. These are just adorable and I especially love the pink one since that's my favorite color!! I will be making some very soon! Thanks so much for the easy to understand instructions! Merry Christmas to you and your family...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting me, I hope I made you smile or inspired you in some way! I appreciate you stopping by!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig